Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Secret To A Woman's Heart

Just to warn you, if you google "What Girls Want," then you'll soon find yourself falling headlong down an endless rabbit hole. Lucky for me, a friend of mine wrote me and disclosed the secret to a woman's heart. Ready? She said that girls want a fairy tale. And that they're raised on a steady diet of Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and so on. Naturally, they grow up eagerly waiting for their Prince Charming to arrive. My initial reaction was that I felt like I'd been given a secret super power. I'd be unstoppable with the ladies. And then I realized how crazy the whole idea was. A fairy tale? Prince Charming? But upon further thought, I felt that maybe it wasn't so crazy.

Perhaps, that deep-seated longing is there for a reason. But what if I'm not a prince? My life is hardly a fairy tale, I don't live in a castle or ride a horse or slay dragons or walk around singing all the time (Well actually, I guess I do walk around singing all the time). Anyway, what if I want to give a girl the moon and more, but it's so beyond my reach? Are us guys doomed to fail? What's more, the Bible ratchets up the heat by instructing men to "love your wives as Christ loved the church, and gave Himself for her." So, not only am I supposed to be a chivalrous prince, but I'm supposed to be just like Jesus. That's even crazier.

Honestly, I know a lot of guys, but I don't know any princes. I know a lot of guys who are trying to be princes, and other guys who aren't trying and that's about it. It's slightly disheartening when I see girls falling for guys who aren't princes at all. When girls hook up with jerks then it sends a message to the rest of the guys that girls like jerks and not princes. I think we all have some growing up to do.

Nevertheless, there is certainly a place in every woman's heart that only one prince can fill. He is the Prince of Peace. There's really no one like Jesus. He will someday return to slay the dragon of this world, and rescue His damsel in distress. There's only one true Savior, no other man can fill that role. Now, I'm not letting guys off the hook. I think most men could do a better job in the romance department, myself included. It's funny that romance films are labeled "chick flicks" and that most guys don't take much interest in them. But maybe it's because every guy secretly feels like they can never measure up to the fiction of it all. Not even Matthew Mcconaughey can be Matthew Mcconaughey in real life. But maybe, just maybe, the only way an ordinary guy can come close to being a prince is by treating a girl like a princess. And praying a lot. I can do that.

P.S. A word to my sisters in Christ-Don't stop believing:)

1 comment:

  1. well would you be willing to offer some DNA for cloning? the world could use more men that view love as you do:)

    ReplyDelete