Monday, December 13, 2010

What Do You Think?

Last night, a group of us were talking about dating and marriage. It's always a topic where everyone has something to offer and something to learn. I learned that a girl wants a guy to tell her right away if he is at all interested in her. That was news to me, I guess I always thought that I had to have my feelings clearly defined and my intentions mapped out before having that talk. But apparently I was wrong.

It's curious to me that even though dating and marriage are such a big deal, God didn't give us a whole lot of instructions about the whole thing. There is so much left to the imagination, so many questions unanswered, so much room for so many mistakes. We are like children playing with sharp objects. How do you know who's right for you? Is there one right person for you? How do you know if you're in love? What's the right way to go about dating? What's the difference between "pursuing" someone and stalking someone? Most people have passionate opinions about all of this, and its difficult to separate fact from fiction.

Recently, something shifted in my heart and I think it's good. Something settled. It dawned on me that I've been looking for someone that doesn't exist. This whole time I've been looking for a girl who's perfect. I've never met her and I never will because nobody's perfect. And the more I think about it, it would be a terrible idea to marry someone who's perfect because it would make me feel like the beast in the relationship. And why should I expect that other person to be perfect when I'm not even close? I've realized that I've had a double standard. It's actually quite selfish, come to think of it.

Anyway, rather than killing the romantic inside me, I'm forcing him to look long and hard at the real world. It seems like we've bought into the idea that being "in love" is initially the most important thing for developing a satisfying relationship. But I'm beginning to question that whole concept. I'm not sure that it's real. What if falling in love is not like winning the lottery or being struck by lightning? What if falling in love really is a choice? What if it is something that you invest in and work at and master?

We live in a culture where we think we are always the victims and we are always shifting the blame. Especially when it comes to love and relationships. We see love as something that happens to us. And so we wait for the day when the stars align and we are kissed by a love that wakes us from our slumber. But maybe it's within reach, maybe it's not somewhere out there but maybe it's within us. Maybe it's not something that you wait for, but maybe it's something that you work toward. And maybe it has less to do with the other person than we think. It's funny how each one of us think that we are the main character in our love story, and we just assume that the other person will be glad to play a supporting role. It's interesting how celebrity marriages don't look all that different than normal marriages. Everyone's got a celebrity complex in some way.

These days I try to imagine myself married to this or that girl. God sometimes gives me a glimpse of a possible future. But often times it's not too far removed from the present. It seems that the present is a peephole to the future. In the realm of relationships, I take a close look at my friendship with a particular girl. If there is frustration or confusion or drama in the friendship right now, then that will most certainly be a liability in a future marriage. It's not anything that we couldn't work out but it's just good to be aware of those things beforehand so that I know what I'm getting myself into. On the other hand, if there are special blessings about our friendship right now, then those would also carry over into our marriage.

I've been weighing which is more valuable, peace or passion in a relationship. Peace in the midst of all this chaos is so beautiful it's haunting. When there is peace, you just know that God is there, the One who calms storms and silences demons. I think if I had to choose between peace and passion then I would choose peace in a relationship. Maybe that's not a popular choice, but I've never really trusted the majority vote. Not that I don't want passion, I do. But feverish passion has never been a reliable compass for me. For me, the peace of God has always fullfilled its promises. It seems like all the good marriages have lots of peace and all the bad ones have lots of passion. Often, what begins as a swooning blaze ends up burning down the house. I've never heard of peace doing any damage. For the record, I love passion and I consider myself to be passionate. Actually passion comes easy for me. But peace is something that is harder to come by, and that's why I want it.

10 comments:

  1. There is an epidemic in the church of people being chronically single. This; your most recent blog post, is a brilliantly succinct expose' on some of the key mindsets that keep people single. It makes my heart glad to see that a dear brother is cutting through the fog of the mindsets of the Chronically Single Christian. If more singles thought the way that you're thinking here then there would be fewer chronically single people. Excellent insights my brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my favorite line I think is "What's the difference between "pursuing" someone and stalking someone?" haha... and I like the rest too of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post---I wonder what would happen if more people approached dating relationships like you said: where they had a peace about the character of the person,(not expecting perfection-but having good standards)

    ...then eventually the growth of passion could be a gauge for stepping into a final commitment. I think passion is important (I am sure you would agree) but I think we often flip that around and follow our passions or lack of passion and act accordingly.

    I think I just basically said what you said again...ha. Sorry. Point being...good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan, this was REALLY good! I think you are spot on with this one and pray that more single people realize this great truth before they enter into dating relationships. I liked what Joy had to say about having peace in the character of a person too. I learned this lesson by experience at a very young age. I praise God everyday for this lesson and the grace He has showed me because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea who you are, but Joy tweeted about your post. I don't have much experience dating, but perhaps this is a part of it. I'm really chewing on what you're saying so thanks for posing some great questions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some good words, bro! I think you're on to something...that love has a great deal to do with choice. After all, God chose us, imperfections and all, His Bride, and gives us the choice whether to choose Him or not in return. I think the idea about love and relationships the world puts out there makes choice sound like a rather blah word, but I don't think choice takes the joy out of the romance but enhances it! How much better to be specifically chosen than just to be someone's roller-coaster emotional fantasy for the day!

    I think choice also involves peace and wisdom without cutting out true passion, whereas unreliable emotions are frequently confused for passion and rarely involve wisdom or peace.

    In the end, God has every day written in His book, and I'm glad I don't have to rely only on my own self or wisdom, especially in this area! His ways and plans are so good! And I'm excited to watch everything unfold while following Him!

    Good stuff!!! Thumbs up! I appreciate your heart and wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Eric: What is wrong with being a "single Christian" and moreover, why do you label them as "chronically single"? What is so negative about being a Christian and being single?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen! I wholeheartedly agree Ryan. I am convinced that our culture has been mislead and I see it as a sign of the times. I believe for the most part, not everyone mind you, but mostly God intended for us to impact our world through marriage and children. I believe our community is hindered in this area by design of an adversary. Society has belittled marriage, family, created false ides of love and passion. God designed family and asked us to bring other lights into this world. We have a grand heritage to pass on and this is essential to the vitality of the body of Christ. LOVE is a choice. Married 22 years, I chose to love my husband everyday. Love is not passive but proactive, not sedentary but exercised. Chose to get married, take a wife/husband and mirror the love of Christ to his church in a healthy, natural way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @April

    Nothing wrong with being a single Christian. As to the label of "chronically single": Chronic means simply; "lasting a long time".

    Let me take a stab at an explanation. I so enjoy being married and it is such a blessing in my life and I desire others to be able to experience this joy. Sometimes I get frustrated on their behalf when I see Christian singles missing out. I get especially sad when I see those who so desire to be married enter into their late 30's and 40's still single and I wonder just how long they are going to wait for the "perfect" person.

    ReplyDelete